Seeking an immediate conference with Rep. Mondaire Jones (D-NY, CD-17) regarding war with Russia

Sent via webform to Rep. Mondaire Jones (D-NY, CD-17) after being told by two of his offices that he doesn't take calls from constituents and having a robo-answer at the third office.

I would like to discuss the situation in Ukraine, in particular the fact that a number of members of both houses have told the media that we are at war with Russia and that they intend for the US to win that war. Given that there has been no announcement of a declaration of war, nor passage of an AUMF for such a war, nor approval of the UNSC for military action against Russia, I would like to make some suggestions regarding remedies as afforded by the US Constitution and international law, the former of which, at a minimum, you have sworn to uphold.

Given the urgent and perhaps existential nature of the current situation, I would like to have this conversation immediately. I received this reply by email: Thank you for contacting my office. It's important to me to hear directly from the residents in New York’s 17th Congressional District on the issues that matter to you.
Due to the high volume of mail that we are currently receiving in our new office, there may be a slight delay in our response. We are working diligently to provide you with the best service possible, and we appreciate your patience.
If you need immediate assistance with issues regarding government agencies, please contact my district office at (914) 323-5550. If you have pressing legislative inquiries, please contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-6506.
For updates on my work on behalf of District 17, please visit my website and sign up for my e-newsletter.
Sincerely, Mondaire Jones Member of Congress Then I received the real answer:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about military assistance for Ukraine. I appreciate hearing from engaged community members like you, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I unequivocally condemn Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and stand wholeheartedly with the Ukrainian people. President Putin must be held accountable for his unprovoked and unjust war. This war is a flagrant violation of international law and will have devastating human costs while triggering a serious refugee crisis.

I commend President Biden’s leadership and support his use of severe sanctions and other measures to hold the Russian leadership accountable. In addition to over $1 billion in security assistance the Biden Administration has already authorized for Ukraine thus far, including much needed anti-tank missiles and anti-aircraft systems, I was proud to help pass $13.6 billion in further military and humanitarian aid for Ukraine through the Fiscal Year 2022 federal government funding package.

While I oppose direct U.S. or NATO military intervention in the war, such as enforcing a no-fly-zone, which would be a dangerous escalation between nuclear powers, we will continue to support the Ukrainian people with the aid they need to protect themselves. As we watch this horrific tragedy unfold, the United States and our allies and partners will work closely to end Putin’s war and bring peace to Ukraine.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts about this important issue. My office is here to serve you. If you or your family need assistance with federal agencies or in response to COVID-19, please call my office at (914) 323-5550 or visit jones.house.gov to learn more about the resources and services available to you. To follow my work in Washington, I urge you to sign-up for my e-newsletter, and follow me on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram

Sincerely,

Mondaire Jones
Member of Congress

Popular posts from this blog

"Ukraine grain" is actually owned by US/EU corporate giants

The Ghost of October 1962 Hovers Over Us

A Timeline for the Creation of the State of Israel in Palestine